Senior Care Access Logo

Home Care and Housing Options for Seniors in Saskatchewan

Province: SK

Saskatchewan’s Medicare system, through funding from the provincial government provides a range of health services to all of its citizens. Services are administered through the Health Regions across the province and include homecare, hospital care, public health, mental health and addiction services.

Home Care Services

As in other provinces, home care services funded by the government include assessment, case management, nursing and therapy services (physiotherapy and occupational therapy). A fee for service on a sliding scale base on income is required for other personal care services such as homemaking, respite, personal care and meals. You can contact your local Health Region for further information on these and other health care services.

Housing Options for Seniors in Saskatchewan

Long-Term Care also referred to as Special-Care Homes are also subsidized through the provinces health care system for those whose needs cannot be met at home or in the community. Local Health Regions assess individuals to determine if they require this higher level of care. The resident pays a portion of the cost based on their income (not their assets) and adjustments are made based on changes to OAS and GIS.

Personal Care Homes are much like Retirement Homes in other provinces. They are privately owned but require a license and are required to follow regulations set out in The Personal Care Homes Act. They are generally for people who need some assistance or supervision with personal care but do not need the services available in a long-term care setting.

Social Housing for Seniors is available for those who are independent but have a limited income. Rent is based on income and acceptance to the program is based on several criteria including need, current housing conditions and costs and other factors. To find out more about this program you can contact your local housing authority or call 1-800-667-7567.

Assisted Living Services in select social housing settings provides a combination of housing and minimal support services to assist seniors with some needs and a limited income to remain independent in the community. Services generally include some meals, housekeeping, laundry, recreational activities and transportation. To find out more about this program you can contact your local housing authority or call 1-800-667-7567.

Information obtained from: 

Esther Goldstein, B.Sc., B.S.W., RSW


Disclaimer: The information provided in this article is offered for general informational and educational purposes only. Opinions expressed are those of the writer and not necessarily Senioropolis Inc/ In no way are any of the materials presented meant to be a substitute for professional advice nor should it be construed as such.  Senioropolis Inc. has endeavoured to ensure the completeness and accuracy of the information contained on this website. However, neither it nor the administrator of the site assumes liability whatsoever for any errors or omissions, nor guarantees the accuracy, of the information herein.

Resources - Housing