Should I move now or later is a seemingly simple question but, it in fact, requires a complex and dynamic response.
Transition is often defined as the movement, passage, or change from one position, state, stage, subject, concept, etc., to another. Over the course of the life cycle, individuals deliberately and/or naturally transition and find ways of adapting to the inherent challenges of the process.
In some instances the adaptation happens naturally and incrementally and in other instances the individual benefits from engaging the services of professionals to facilitate the process. Transitioning is a familiar concept that has been successfully executed numerous times.
While transitioning to a retirement home embodies the familiar qualities of previous transitions, the context is new and often triggers a slew of general and/or unique questions, anxieties and fears that either indicate or merit the expertise of a knowledgeable professional.
The concerns may include, but are not limited to, the following:
· Coping with the physical and emotional separation from the safety, familiarity and significant memories of the current home
· The extent to which the person will be able to adapt to the anticipated conditions that are generally associated with living in a retirement home
· The length of time the person will be able to afford the cost of living in a retirement setting and the alternatives if finances are limited
· Access to family and friends
· The option of joint spousal accommodation
· Maintaining ones independence
· Personal finance access and control
· The extent to which they be expected to compromise their current level of independence e.g. driving, social activities, access to the community etc.
· Maintaining current professional care providers: physician, dentist, specialists etc.
· Disposing/maintaining current home and personal possessions
For those with these types of questions and concerns, an option available is to consult with a Master-Accredited Senior Agent (Master-ASA). Master-ASA’s can provide information and/or assist with:
· Gaining access to experts in estate and tax laws
· Details of government loans and grants that can help seniors remain in their homes
· Income-property management
· Types of insurance
· A variety of housing options e.g. retirement homes, assisted living centres etc.
· Retiring outside of Canada
· Selling and relocating household items
· A team approach providing guidance on issues that matter to seniors e.g. best price for your property, a smooth transition to your next home, etc.
Magda Zecevic is a Certified Professional Consultant on Aging & a Master- Accredited Senior Agent. The Master-ASA is an elite progression of the ASA Seniors Real Estate Program whose primary goal is to assist seniors in coming to the best decision for their circumstances, which may or may not involve the sale of their home. She works closely with many professionals, including lawyers, senior move managers, financial planners, bank staff, accountants, estate planners, auctioneers, aging-in-place contractors etc. Master-ASA's also serve the retirement residences in their local areas.
The Master ASA™ (MASTER Accredited Senior Agent), the SRES (Senior Real Estate Specialists) and CPCA (Certified Professional Consultant on Aging) designations are signs that your REALTOR® has the training, skill set, and dedication that is required when working with mature and senior clients. The needs of this clientele are different from other types of real estate, whether relating to the need for information on available housing options or, government loans & grant programs to help you stay in your home.
Magda has access to a Network of Exceptional Specialists who specialize in Canadian tax laws. estate planning, wills, trusts, capital gains, and other options. Call Magda for a complimentary consultation and ask her about 'Aging in Place' programs. If you love where you live, then these options offer an exciting alternative for people who want to change their ownership status but not the address of where they live. Programs offer a Safe, Simple, and Private alternative to a Reverse Mortgage or Line of Credit.